Canada Day Round Up

June 30, 2011

Hello all of my South of the border friends!  (I'm not talking about Mexico, but hello to you too if you are reading.)  Up North here in Canada we are celebrating our country too.  Canada Day is tomorrow (July 1st), so I thought I'd share a few Canada Day inspired images.  If you'd like to know a bit more about Canada, click here or here.  As far as celebrating the holiday goes, we Canadians indulge in a fair bit of picnicking, firework watching and flag waving ourselves.  Usually when looking for patriotic crafts, recipes, sewing projects, etc. as a Canadian I have to take an American look, omit the blue, and exchange stars for maple leafs.  While the pure Canada Day selection is a bit more limited, it does exist.  I hope you are inspired by something to make for tomorrow's celebrations or maybe to store away for next year.  Oh yeah, and of course feel free to add some blue and stars to make these ideas fit for the July 4th holiday!



For the table: These strawberry cheesecake bites by Ohsheglows look delicious.  The recipe includes a yummy gingerbread cookie crust. 
I love the simplicity of the red and white cupcakes on a chocolate base by Canadian Living.  I think you could get the same effect without maple leaf shaped sprinkles. 
This flag cake by Kraft Canada is a classic.  If you click on the link it even gives you a video of how to make the cake.  I think I would just make a white cake and top with icing and strawberries instead of the jello/cake base. 
Polka Dot Print Studio gives a bunch of printable dessert labels and some great red and white treat ideas too.

Image sources: subway art, handprint flag, maple leaf garland, red and white bunting

For the house: Bloggin' with Bobbi has some free printable subway art, Canada style.
This handprint flag via Dad Super Cool looks like an easy and cute kid craft.
I love the simplicity of this maple leaf garland from GFetti's etsy shoppe. 
My favourite "Canadian decor" is Viastyle's red and white bunting.  Subtle, but still patriotic.

What else have you seen out there for the Canada Day set?

Whatever country you are celebrating this weekend, I hope the weekend is a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...