Anti-Stress Rice Bag

May 5, 2011

Something that I think is a common problem with women, is that we don't take enough time for ourselves.  In thinking about what I could share for About You Week, I wanted to make something that could help me take time for myself. 

My stress often shows up in my neck.  If I'm stressed, I'm tense, and my neck is sooo tight.  One thing that really helps is for my tight, tight muscles is heat.  If I'm feeling yucky, I reach for the hot water bottle or rice bag.  The rice bag that I had is a long tube of fabric filled with rice.  You heat it in the microwave for a few minutes, and voila! instant heat therapy.

The only problem with the rice bag in my house, is that there was only one, and if ever I wanted to use it when my three year old daughter was around, she suddenly developed a sore neck also.  Fighting over a rice bag with a three year old is quite the opposite of anti-stress.  I decided it was time to whip up a few more.


Rice bags are a pretty simple project.  I'm not going to re-invent the wheel on this one.  V&Co. has a pretty good tutorial here

My twist on the rice bag project was to cut the fabric in the shape of a moon.  My finished rice bag measures 6" down the center seam, and 17" straight across from tip to tip.  It's the perfect size for wrapping around my neck and shoulders.



Here's a simple step-by step:


1. Cut out two crescent moon shapes. 
2. Sew them right sides together, leaving a 2" gap somewhere on each half.
3. Flip the moon shape right side out.
4. Sew a line down the middle to divide the moon shape into two.
5. Fill both sides with rice.
6. Hand or machine stitch the openings closed.
7. To use, microwave 2-4 minutes, and start de-stressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...