The You and I Book

June 9, 2011

This Father's Week post is recycled from a project I did as an elementary school teacher in 2007.  It was still a good idea, so I thought it was worth posting.

I originally came up with and made "The You and I" Father's Day book for the grade one art class I taught when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I made the one pictured for my husband on his "first" Father's Day ever.

It's a sweet little handmade book that overviews how a father and child are different, but most importantly alike they are because they both love each other.




In making this project, I provided my students with blank paper, a title to use and a bunch of starter sentences.  Of course each book had to end with "You love me.  I love you!"

Some example starters include:

You have...   I have...
You like...     I like...
You wear...   I wear...
You go...       I go...
You never...   I never...
You can...      I can...

I was really impressed with what my six and seven year old students came up with.  The pictures they added were adorable too.  This is when I wish I would have taken pictures of those projects!  I think this book could be adapted to any age level, adding more or less detail or complexity.

I hope you'll forgive the quality of my artwork.  I am a teacher, not an artist!
To finish the book, I laminated the title pages, added two hole puches on each page, and tied them together with yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...