Gracefully Giving Up

January 24, 2012

I sew because I love doing it.  Since my baby girl was born, I haven't really been able to make much of anything.   Last week I had a few minutes one afternoon with just Kid 1 (the other two were magically napping at the same time), and I was feeling the itch to sew.  I even had the perfect project to work on.  One of my good friends  is having a baby girl very soon (Hi Becca), and I had a great idea of something special I could make her.


She had recently passed on an old dress shirt for Kid 2 to wear that her two year old grew out of.  I thought it would be adorable and sentimental if I refashioned the shirt into a little dress/top for their baby girl to wear.


I started working on it and I was feeling good.  I cut out the stain, and I had a pretty good plan for how everything was going to work.


But then something happened and I messed it all up.  I cut too much out of the width and I was pretty sure I didn't have a wide enough piece to make it work.

I played with it and stared at it for a while and tried really hard to figure out how I could rescue the dress.  After a bit I realized that I was too tired to think clearly, and it would be wise to give up now.  You know, before I wasted anymore time on something destined to fail.  Maybe I could have saved it, and I saved the bigger pieces for a secondary idea that I may or may not get around to, but I think sometimes it's wise to just give up and call it a day.

And that is just what I did.  I'm telling myself that I gave up gracefully and that I made the right move.  I'm curious, what is the point when you give up on you projects, or do you just soldier through until it works out?     

2 comments:

Becca said...

Hi Carlee! What a sweet thought! The thought is counted! And I'm glad that you gave up, because sewing mad is not worth it!

So glad we could play with you guys today!

The Thomases said...

It's the thought that counts right? And the thought is pretty good because I'm tearing up just thinking about it (those crazy post-pregnancy hormones).

Looking forward to your and Becca's shower tonight!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...